Monday, December 5, 2011

Caribou Chili

Good Morning my Fellow Bloggers!! I'm sitting here watching Rachel Ray (Love her) and drinking my morning coffee. I made some awesome Caribou Chili for dinner the other night and I wanted to share this easy recipe with all who care to try it. I have never had caribou until the other night. We just moved to Alaska and my husband missed all the salmon,moose and caribou. Next year I know he will be busy hunting and fishing to keep us well stocked for next winter. My hubby's trooper buddy gave us some of his caribou and moose meat. I hope you all enjoy this simple but delicious chili recipe.

1 lb. caribou burger, browned and seasoned with Morton Nature's seasons seasoning blend ( or whatever seasoning you prefer)
1 pkg. chili seasoning
1 10 oz can Rotel diced tomatoes with lime juice and cilantro (or any can tomotes you may have on hand)
1 8 oz jar Ragu Robusto 7-Herb Tomatoe sauce (or any flavor you have on hand)
1 lrg. can 27 oz Bush's chili beans pinto beans in chili sauce Mild sauce ( or any kind of canned beans you may have on hand)

1. Cook and brown caribou burger on med-high heat season with choice of seasoning, (there willl not be any of that gross grease you get from hamburger, just a dark brown natural juice sauce, leave in for more flavor or if you prefer drain it off.
2. Add Ragu 7-Herb tomato sauce after meat is browned, stir well
3. Add Chili seasoning packet,stir well into mixture
4. Add Rotel diced tomoes with lime juice and cilantro,mix well
5. Let mixture simmer 10-15 min. on med. low heat
6. Add lrg. can of Bush's chili beans, mix well
7. Let mixture simmer on low heat 5-10 min.

I made a cast iron skillet of yummy southern cornbread to go with this chili.
I like to place a slice of cornbread in the bottom of my bowl, spoon over the chili, sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese and a dollop of sour cream. A yummy, hearty, winter meal that is sure to please anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment